blog banner

29 December 2012

ITIWAB

NOTE: This post will talk about female stuff. And I'm not really one to use fluffy comfortable words, so if all that makes you squeamish, turn back now.

We started trying to get pregnant in the late summer of 2010. Casey was working off-island a lot, which didn't help, but I figured my other two pregnancies had happened quickly and easily and this one would follow suit. Casey wasn't completely sure he wanted another kiddo, but then one day he texted me ITIWAB. I said "What?" he said ITIWAB. I made a guess... yada yada yada ITIWAB = I Think I Want A Baby. We were gung-ho on adding a little Jorgensen!

Weeks ticked on to months... I started living the 2-week cycle many hopeful mothers are familiar with: 2 weeks of hope-filled anticipation, "I think I'm nauseous!" or "My boobs are definitely sore." or "I'm WAY more tired than usual...." and 2 weeks of impatience and waiting for ovulation. After 6-8 months I knew something was up, and I was definitely having some weirdness in my cycle.

My periods were intense... heavy, painful, emotional, did I mention heavy? They were really heavy. Even between periods I was in pain: crampy, stabby, "I don't really want to get off the couch today" type pain. I asked friends and talked to family... I was overly worried because I don't have the best family history in the female organ department. (Lots of cancers. No one's female nether regions have lasted past 35.) So I just let the time keep ticking, and pretty much gave up on the whole "have another baby" thing. I was approaching 30 and that was the family marker... my woman parts had ticked their last tock and that was that. I'm the type of gal who has to mentally process stuff before I'm ready to swallow it whole, so I basically spent a year or so just digesting the fact that we were not going to have any more children, and I would probably have something severely wrong with me when I finally had the guts to see a doctor.

July 4th of this year we attended a breakfast party at a friend's house. I was menstruating and debating going at all, but decided instead to just double up my preparations (read: super tampon + one of those pads that feels like a diaper, and of course plenty of "reserves"). I reassured myself that it was only a 30ish minute drive to their house and I'd be fine. So wrong... oh so so wrong. The thing is, I would lose like clots of blood... chunks sometimes the size of walnuts. (Hey, I warned you in the beginning.) And gosh the pain.... So after spending an hour in a friend's bathroom cleaning up what look like a murder scene, I decided it was time to make the appointment. And I was ready to hear whatever the doc had to say.

Skip to late July... appointment day. They were all up in my business... ultrasounding and examining and all sorts of stuff. The diagnosis: crazy polycystic ovaries (there were all sorts of cysts up in there) and what appeared to be very progressed endometriosis (but you can't really know without exploratory surgery). Basically I was told that I would not get pregnant without assistance... lots of assistance. Period. Case and I had already had this talk and decided that we were completely and utterly happy with our family as it was and were not going to take any extraordinary measures to make more babies, so the goal was HEALTH. I wanted to feel healthy again. Doc said to come back in when my period started and he'd get me going on birth control to help out with the PCOS (Polycystic Ovaries Syndrome) and then once that was under control we'd do surgery for the endometriosis.

but then my period didn't start.
Enter Elise.



5 comments:

Megan said...

Crazy how sometimes, when we quit trying to control things, miracles happen :) After a miscarriage and a few months of trying my husband and I said the exact same thing. That very month we made a Josie. Congratulations!

Ashley C said...

Wow. What a wonderful miracle! I'm so happy for you guys. I believe that I also have endometriosis. My OB doc thinks so too. But I've never had the surgery to find out for sure.

Meg said...

That is amazing Stefani!! Holy cow! I'm sorry that your period's are so terrible, and I'm glad that you don't have to have them for a while. I hear you on the PCOS... not fun. I'm excited for you and your cute family! What a great miracle for you guys!

J and M said...

dang. :( i'm glad baby elise pulled through for you guys!! :D she will be a beautiful addition to your already beautiful family!

The Candlands said...

Love that you shared this! Love even more than you were open and honest! I am so happy you were able to get preggers again! It's super hard dealing with uncooperative girly parts! Hence the reason it took us 11 1/2 years to get Emmalynn. I have PCOS too. What did it for us was using a breast cancer drug that suppresses the hormones that women with PCOS produce more of. I also took Metformin (people with PCOS are insulin resistant - hence the reason I gained 50 lb since high school - ugh). It was my miracle concoction and hopefully it will work for us again in the future. Anyways, I am so super excited for you!